Storm-affected Kansas farmers should file insurance claims quickly

The recovery from recent intense storms and fires has taken over many farmers. On December 15, Kansans saw derecho, an intense, widespread, fast-moving storm, roll across the prairie.

These widespread storms gathered wind gusts of over 60 mph, which created damaging paths at least 50 miles wide and over 250 miles long, said Vicki Schmidt, Kansas insurance commissioner, in a statement.

“A lot of damage went through Kansas at the same time,” said Lee Modesitt, spokesperson for the Kansas Insurance Department.

USDA has technical and financial assistance to help farmers and ranchers recover. Affected growers should contact their local USDA service center to report losses and learn about program options available to help them recover from loss and damage to crops, land, infrastructure, and livestock.

“Once you are able to safely assess the impact of wildfires or drought on your operation, be sure to contact your local FSA office to timely report all damage and loss. related to crops, livestock and agricultural infrastructure, ”Charles (Chuck) Pettijohn, Acting State Executive Director. for the Kansas Farm Service Agency (FSA), said in a statement. “To expedite FSA disaster assistance, you will likely need to provide documentation, such as farm records, a herd inventory, receipts, and photos of damage or loss.”

Following:Hutchinson City Council inquires about action taken on Landmark building after derecho damage

In addition to going to the USDA site, those in need of assistance can visit the Kansas Department of Agriculture Disaster Relief page.

Disaster relief sometimes has a schedule

Producers whose livestock have died or who sell injured livestock at reduced prices as a result of forest fires may be eligible for the Livestock Compensation Program.

For both forest fire and drought recovery, the Livestock, Bee and Farmed Fish Emergency Assistance Program provides assistance to eligible producers for food losses as well as for water transport and food transport and expenditure. For ELAP, producers will have to file a notice of loss within 30 days and loss of bees within 15 days.

In addition, eligible orchards and nurserymen may be eligible for cost-shared assistance through the Tree Assistance Program to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, shrubs or vines lost during drought. This complements the uninsured agricultural disaster assistance program or crop insurance coverage, which covers the crop but not the plants or trees in all cases. For TAP, a program request must be submitted within 90 days.

Following:Lawmakers call for federal and state help for residents criticized by wildfires in western Kansas

Insurance needs

The Kansas Department of Insurance wants people to know the agency is there to help navigate the claims process if negotiations become onerous. Applications will be made to private and federal programs. The KID will help you with either claim. Call 1-800-432-2484 or email: [email protected] for assistance.

Modesitt said it’s important for people to be careful when choosing a contractor.

“We always want people to be aware of doing due diligence and making sure that businesses are registered and that they are legitimate businesses, doing business in Kansas,” he said.